The PAN is definitely a unique way to identify a taxpayer.
- The first three characters are a series of alphabets from AAA to ZZZ.
- The fourth character represents what kind of taxpayer you are:
- A — Association of Persons (AOP)
- B — Body of Individuals (BOI)
iii. C — Company
- F — Firm
- G — Government
- H — HUF (Hindu Undivided Family)
vii. L — Local Authority
viii. J — Artificial Judicial Person
- P — Individual
- T — AOP (Trust)
- K — Krish (Trust Krish)
- The Fifth character will be the first letter of your surname (last name) for example if your name is Sonia Mehta, the fifth character will be M.
- The last character