Article Index

NSDL and PAN agencies are the authorized to receive and examine PAN Applications. If you need a PAN Card you may apply online through the NSDL website or go to a District-level PAN Agency and obtain and submit an application for PAN.

Allotment of PAN

When you submit Form 49A, the application is scrutinized by assessing officers with the help of the computerized AIS system. After basic verification, the application is forwarded to computer centers for data entry through the IPAN system. From here it can be transferred to the Central Data System in Delhi. The National Computer Center holds the taxpayer database, which is checked for duplication. If there are no other PAN allotments in the same name, the PAN request is received and PAN is given.

Another way to get a PAN number is through an assessing officer. An individual submits the application form 49A through an assessing officer who verifies and then does the data entry. From here it is sent to the National Computer Center for PAN allotment. They send it back to the assessing officer, who does the printing and sending to the applicant.